Thursday, November 12, 2009

Would you weep for me?

On my original idea, Basil and myself would [somehow] end up together.
I know, I know.
Then Kim told me of The Conversation, and I stopped being stupid and made it so Basil and Paula (Elaina) got back together (after a breif skirmish) and I was left feeling depressed. Then, at a dance, he talks to me, only to admit at the end that Elaina told him to, because she felt bad for me. Then, for awhile afterwards:

I walked away, but my head was not held high.
Hours passed into days passed into weeks, and sometimes, like bursts of light in an eternal darkness, I caught his eye and something invisible passed in the air, a feeling that was all at once entirely the same and completely different. And, for the first time, he was the one to look away first.
That, however, did not make me happy.
I was not happy, but in a strange, numb state of calm; there was a constant ache in my heart, but it was dull, muted. I was no longer in the thrashing sea; I was sunk beneath the surface, the storm above me, and contemplating my life with the calm of those who are about be pulled back into the gale but granted a moment’s peace. Just under the water, before being dragged back to the surface by the thrashing current, I was suspended in silence and numbness and the absence of thought.
How impossibly amazing that he could make me feel this way.
I was in a faraway place, devoid of the feverish emotions that drained the body and poisoned the mind; I was a spirit watching through an ever-twisting lens the dull planes of my life, and they seemed even grayer.
And yet they glimmered with a strange power, as if lit up from the inside.
I couldn’t help but hope I looked the same way.

Yes, I know it doesn't have much to do with the story, and I know it's too...poetic, I guess? But honestly, it's one of the best things I've written in a long time. So there. Disagree if you will, I suppose.
13,177!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. I really really love what you wrote! It's pretty much fantastic, in my opinion at least :) And whoa, 13177 words is also pretty great! Keep it up :D

    ReplyDelete